Expectations can negatively impact your relationship if they are unrealistic or uncommunicated to your partner.
If you expect something from your partner that is completely outside of their capabilities, how can your partner come close to meeting them? Additionally, communicating expectations effectively and managing conflict contributing to expectations is fundamental to ensuring your relationship endures.
- Which of your partner’s expectations is most important for you to fulfill?
- When you are not able to meet one of your partner’s expectations, how does that affect your relationship? Additional conflict? Resentment? Disappointment? A new level of compassion? Understanding?
- Do expectations always have a definitive completion point?
- Are some expectations clearly met at a specific time interval while others are on-going?
- What happens if you believe you met an expectation and your partner disagrees?
- What is your definition of fulfilled and what is your partner’s?
If you and your partner ever feel overwhelmed by your results or the ensuing discussion, we encourage you to seek out professional support. Call us.
Consider taking an assessment or working through our Discussion Guide for Couples… that’s a great place start! Tune in for more tips next week.
Do you need help with an issue or problem? Our approach helps to generate deep and productive conversations that couples would not otherwise have about their relationship. These conversations can restore insight and understanding about one another.
More tips at www.couplecheckup.com.au, tune in next week…
Take the Couple Checkup Simply click on the Register button below relevant to your relationship – it couldn’t be easier. Once you have finished the questions you should receive your comprehensive personalised report in about 30 seconds.
The CoupleCheckup generates deep and productive conversations that couples would not otherwise have about their relationship. These conversations restore insight and understanding about one another. The CoupleCheckup can help to revive a relationship and increase intimacy.
The CoupleCheckup is an online couple assessment based on the PREPARE/ENRICH couple inventories. The Checkup assessment and Checkup report are designed to go directly to couples at any stage of their relationship (dating, engaged or married). The online system allows for dynamic customization of the assessment to each couple based on how the couple answers background questions. The goal is for the CoupleCheckup to reach a more diverse group of couples, to empower couples to deal with issues on their own and to emphasize prevention over remediation.