Family and friends are part of a larger system that can provide encouragement to your relationship, but that larger system can also be detrimental to your relationship if there is a significant lack of acceptance and support.
Your partner’s family and friends, as well as your own, will impact your relationship in some way. With you partner, work through the following discussion point.
- How do you know your relationship is accepted by your family and friends?
- How do you know your relationship is accepted by your partner’s family and friends?
- How do you know the boundaries of your relationship are both respected by family and friends as well as your partner and yourself?
- Do family and friends cause conflict in your relationship?
- If so, how is this type of conflict normally identified and addressed?
- Do you or your partner become defensive when the topic of family and friends is brought up in discussion?
If you and your partner ever feel overwhelmed by your results or the ensuing discussion, we encourage you to seek out professional support. Call us.
Consider taking an assessment or working through our Discussion Guide for Couples… that’s a great place start! Tune in for more tips next week.
Do you need help with an issue or problem? Our approach helps to generate deep and productive conversations that couples would not otherwise have about their relationship. These conversations can restore insight and understanding about one another.
More tips at www.couplecheckup.com.au, tune in next week…
Take the Couple Checkup Simply click on the Register button below relevant to your relationship – it couldn’t be easier. Once you have finished the questions you should receive your comprehensive personalised report in about 30 seconds.
The CoupleCheckup generates deep and productive conversations that couples would not otherwise have about their relationship. These conversations restore insight and understanding about one another. The CoupleCheckup can help to revive a relationship and increase intimacy.
The CoupleCheckup is an online couple assessment based on the PREPARE/ENRICH couple inventories. The Checkup assessment and Checkup report are designed to go directly to couples at any stage of their relationship (dating, engaged or married). The online system allows for dynamic customization of the assessment to each couple based on how the couple answers background questions. The goal is for the CoupleCheckup to reach a more diverse group of couples, to empower couples to deal with issues on their own and to emphasize prevention over remediation.