There are certain expectations you have of yourself, and others that you put on your partner, and while that is not a bad thing, it can become detrimental to your relationship if your expectations are not realistic or even worse, uncommunicated.
Additionally, if you expect something from your partner that is completely outside of their capabilities, how can your partner come close to meeting them?
- Which is harder for you – not meeting your partner’s expectations or not having your expectations met? Why?
- How does fulfilling expectations bring you and your partner closer?
- What happens when you meet each other’s expectations?
- Consider effort – How do expectations require different levels of effort?
- Are some expectations more worthy of being met?
- Which type of expectation is most important to meet for the sake of your relationship health?
- Which expectations are the easiest (or hardest) to fulfill?
If you and your partner ever feel overwhelmed by your results or the ensuing discussion, we encourage you to seek out professional support. Call us.
Consider taking an assessment or working through our Discussion Guide for Couples… that’s a great place start!
Tune in for more tips next week.
Do you need help with an issue or problem? Our approach helps to generate deep and productive conversations that couples would not otherwise have about their relationship. These conversations can restore insight and understanding about one another.
More tips at www.couplecheckup.com.au, tune in next week…
Simply click on the Register button below relevant to your relationship – it couldn’t be easier. Once you have finished the questions you should receive your comprehensive personalised report in about 30 seconds.
The CoupleCheckup generates deep and productive conversations that couples would not otherwise have about their relationship. These conversations restore insight and understanding about one another. The CoupleCheckup can help to revive a relationship and increase intimacy.
The CoupleCheckup is an online couple assessment based on the PREPARE/ENRICH couple inventories. The Checkup assessment and Checkup report are designed to go directly to couples at any stage of their relationship (dating, engaged or married). The online system allows for dynamic customization of the assessment to each couple based on how the couple answers background questions. The goal is for the CoupleCheckup to reach a more diverse group of couples, to empower couples to deal with issues on their own and to emphasize prevention over remediation.